General Description of the Module:
In this module you will learn about an action planning model and will have an opportunity to practice and improve your action planning skills.
Activity: Planning an action
- To understand the main steps of action planning.
- To be able to plan a specific action.
Duration: 40 minutes
Resources: "Action plan" activity sheet, pens.
Description of the activity:
Action planning is a process which will help you to focus your ideas and to decide what steps you need to take to achieve particular goals that you may have. Preparing an action plan is a good way to start.
- Read and discuss the following action planning model:
- WHERE AM I NOW? This is where you review your current situation and undertake self-assessment.
- WHERE DO I WANT TO BE? This is where you decide your goals.
- HOW DO I GET THERE? This is where you define the strategy you will use to achieve your goals, and help you break down your goal into the smaller steps that you will need to take to achieve your target.
- TAKING ACTION. This is where you implement your plan!
- WHERE AM I NOW? This is where you evaluate what you achieved.
- In small groups or individually, think of something you want to achieve. You can use your goals from the Goal Setting Skills Module. Then complete the Action plan activity sheet.
Some tips for successful action planning:
- Have a clear objective
- Define clearly the steps you will take
- Arrange the steps in a logical, chronological order and put a date by which you will start each step
- Try to map out several paths to your goal, then if one becomes blocked another is available: build flexibility into your planning
- Think about the type of problems you might encounter at each step and how to overcome them
- Don‘t forget to celebrate and reward yourself when you successfuly complete your action!
After the activity:
After completing the activity, take some time to reflect on your experience. Think about or write down answers to these reflection points:
- Did I learn something new? If yes, what?
- What skills did I improve?
- How could I apply those skills or knowledge in my own life? (Think of a few examples)
Suggestion and tips for facilitation:
If you are doing this activity in a group, write a plan for something you would like to achieve in your group or class, for example, organising a movie night. If you are doing this activity individually, you can focus on personal goals.
Tip: If you participated in the Pre-Learning Activities for Forum Participants, you may remember the action planning activity from the Participants Learning Pack ( People Forced to Flee Workshop 5, 'Action ideas' and The Equality Forum Workshop 6 ‘Action Ideas’ ). You can use materials from that activity to help you with planning your action.
Action plan activity sheet
|MY OBJECTIVE IS:||Date I expect to complete this step by:|
|I will tell my plan to/ i will share my plan with:|
|I will start my action plan on (date):|
|What problems am I likely to face? What will I do to overcome these?|
Remember: try to be as specific as possible when writing down the steps!