General Description of the Module:Teams are formed when individuals with a common taste, preference, liking and attitude come and work together for a common goal. Working in a team and especially leading a team can be very challenging. However, teams play a very important role in organizations as well as our personal lives. In this module, you will participate in a group activity, where you will have to work with others to achieve your goal.
Activity: Dream castle
- To improve teamwork, time management, cooperation and communication skills.
- To explore your role as a team member.
Duration: 60 minutes
Resources: Paper (you could use used paper or newspapers/magazines), scissors, glue, coloured markers/pencils, rulers for every team.
Description of the activity:
Divide into teams that have the same amount of members. Try to aim for 4-6 members in each team. The objective of this activity is to build a castle using the provided materials that will be the most beautiful, tallest and strongest of all groups. Every team should assign roles to the group members, including a team leader. Allow around 30 minutes for the task. When everyone is finished, put all the castles together. Each team has to delegate a team member for the jury. The jury has 5- 10 minutes to decide the winning team and second / third places. The jury also must work as a team and are free to choose a method for selection.
Suggested questions for discussion
- What are you happy about and what can you praise your team about?
- How did you chose who does what in your team?
- Was there a team leader? If yes, how did he/she become a leader?
- If there was a leader, which of their actions helped the team to reach its goal?
- What was your personal input towards the team success?
- How did the jury reach its verdict?
After the activity:
After completing the activity, take some time to reflect on your experience. Think about or write down answers to these reflection points:
- Did I learn something new? If yes, what?
- What skills did I improve?
- How could I apply those skills or knowledge in my life? (Think of a few examples)
Suggestion and tips for facilitation: